places to look

11 May 2010

alex prager serves up an ice cold glass of delicately poisoned lemon aid

prager's work combines a thrilling and consistent color palette with a spectacular abilityto access the iconic.  she ties me up with nylonstockings and makes me look at what i've been seeing in dreams.  only somehow the images are sabotaged, riddled with landmines that make me sweat and shift in my seat.  perfect for summer, prager serves up an ice cold glass of delicately poisoned lemon aid.
 

excerpt from juxtapoz interview. 

"I’m documenting a world that exists and doesn’t exist at the same time; the world in which these girls live in is made up, but the illusion they’ve created is so constant that it became more real to them than the world they actually live in...
I saw a theme of apathy and impending death running through these pictures -- the death of and dreams."
very rarely do i become so invested in a photographer so quickly, but that seems to be happening to a lot of people.  in just three years she has had three incredibly sucessful gallery shows.  her newest work, "week-end", made her an undisputed darling at pulse in miami this past december.  currenly on display in tokyo, prager's exhibit is due to open in london in june and she has already hit la and new york.  they is something undeniably exciting about her that makes me wonder if we won't all know her name soon enough.  too bad she's good enough to drink.

more excerpts from juxtapoz magazine interview

"Los Angeles is a beautiful place. The magic is still here. Everything is possible, but there is a very dark element here too. I think that’s what makes Los Angeles so inspiring. You can feel it when you’ve been here for a few months at a time. The sky is always blue, the birds are always singing -- it’s a strange picture of perfection -- but there is this eerie monotony that creeps in after a while. I think it can slowly drive people crazy -- that sense of unease under the surface of all this beauty and promise.

I stage my pictures with this place in mind -- a place where dreams die quietly."

1 comment:

Natalia Hagan said...

these are wild jimmy! beautiful, i didnt realize i can comment. I will from now on because you're not here for me to blab to. I want to do a photo shoot like that! amazing